Thursday, August 23, 2007

A Day in Minneapolis

So today I ventured out of my apartment onto campus today via bike. Let me tell you, everyone here bikes, how hard can it be? Right?

My bike to campus was wonderful, cool, easy and the lanes were marked. It took about 10 minutes. My bike home was entirely different. First of all it was raining steadily. Second of all, I went home on a different road - a four lane busy road full of potholes and lacking in bike lane lines (although I know there is a bike lane - the Minneapolis bike map said so....). Anyway my bike ride home goes something like this: I'm soooooaking wet from the rain (my gortex doesnt so much repel water as soak it up) and the dirty water splashes I get every few minutes from cars speeding by and freaked out cause they are speeding really close to me. I keep getting caught in turning lanes and slowing down traffic trying to get out of them. Plus I'm trying to use hand signals here cause everyone else does, but do you know how hard hand signals are when its rainy and cars are driving super close to you and its hard to look behind you cause your wet hood is covering half your face? I see some bikers on the other side of the road so I think the bike lane is over there. I decide to cross, but apparently I'm slower on my old purple Schwinn then I had anticipated cause traffic stops and honks as I cross four lanes of traffic. I get home soaked and bike-shamed.

A few hour later, after it stops raining, I went out for a run. I just kind of ran and explored some different streets/neighborhoods and then loop around to go back to my apartment. I get kind of lost in a really shady looking neighborhood and come across a homeless looking guy who resembles Jesus bent over looking into some bushes. When he sees me coming his way he stands up and stares and waves at me as I pass by. Not creepy except for the fact that his hand and upper forearm was a hook contraption (quite like Busters in Arrested Development).

Good day guys, good day.

No comments: