Sunday, April 6, 2008

Life changing decision?

So I was in the city this weekend hanging out with my friend Bryan who just moved to Lincoln Park a while back and it was a total blast. The whole time he and his friends were bugging me to move to the city, but was mostly just rambling belligerent nonsense. Then this afternoon before I got on the train to come back to the burbs, he said that his lease is up in July (same as mine) and he has nobody to live with and would consider moving to the South Loop if I was interested. So now I have a dilemma. There are a couple people at work who live in the South Loop, but the commute is ~60 miles each way. They say it can be done in under an hour. So that's option 1: Move to the city, live with Bryan and possibly one other person thereby at least tripling the weekday fun factor, drive forever to get to work. Compare this with what I've been thinking about for the past month: Find a random roommate in the burbs, possibly move closer to work (I already commute 40 miles each way), embrace full fledged suburbanism, drive 1/2 way to forever to get to work. I can definitely afford the place I'm living in now, but it's too much room and it seems wasteful and too far from work for someplace I arbitrarily decided to live. If I move in with Bryan, I'll spend more on gas but I'll still end up saving $200-300/month over what I'm paying now. If I find a random roomie here, I'll save twice that plus not have to deal with the headache of driving so far. What do I do? The idea of a 120 mile round trip commute makes me shudder, but the thought of another year alone in the burbs may be even worse.

19 comments:

Joey said...

I would say go with random roomie. That way you're not by yourself and you get to meet someone new, potentially expanding your social circle/fun factor while not having to drive 120 miles.

Margaret said...

I kind of agree. As cool as it would be to live in the city with someone you know...the number 120 is daunting and to drive that every day would be a waste of 21 days over a year spent driving...Just seems like that time could better spent.

pigous said...

have you factored in how far you drive a week to play frisbee right now? how much time would you save being closer to chicago in that respect?

Schwartz said...

40 minutes each way once a week right now plus 40 minutes each way 3 times a week in the summer

pigous said...

I'm leaning more towards the city, but I guess thats just my bias and fear of suburbia. And I can't believe marge is promoting random roommate...do you remember who your random roommate is?

Margaret said...

Yes, David is super crazy and an idiot. But he also provides me with entertainment when I sit and listen to him and think to myself about how crazy his ideas are. The other day he was talking and his sentences weren't even making any amount of sense when he put them together. I just kept saying what? and making him re-phrase stuff which was frustrating to him and entertaining to me.

Also, can we consider another option here. UIC is letting me defer my acceptance for up to 1 year meaning that I could start up there doing MS work in January if I wanted. I don't want to live with my parent and might be looking for a roommate? When does this decision have to be made by?

zilla said...

Kevin - eff it - just move more north...like...500 miles.

zilla said...

my real answer: I would go with Kali on this one. Being alone(ish) is way better when there are lots of things to do. But then again - the commute, the environment, the gas and the time. I wish I could help you more Kevin!

ycrad said...

it sounds like the commune could be making a comeback! if you do decide on the city and dont want to make such a long commute, are there other employers closer to the city that you would consider?

another thought: if 2 friends and a friend of a friend head downtown, i'd be 82% more likely to join the fun...

Margaret said...

I agree, the commune is cool again. See everyone in Chicago in 1 year?

pigous said...

you gotta talk eric into moving that close to his parents. not gonna be easy.

p.s. i love chicago!

Margaret said...

Eric sounds like he wants to move to Huntsville...

zilla said...

where the heck is Huntsville? well,as there's a 10 person house with a giant garden.

P.S. I have never given up hope of the commune. I'm always in.

zilla said...

PPS. As if the commune was ever uncool.....pshhh....

Schwartz said...

I'm in, but no polygamy...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/17/polygamy.custody/index.html

pigous said...

those women are fascinating...

and creepy.

Margaret said...

Let's actually do this. I've committed to UIC.

Schwartz said...

And I'm committed to moving to the city in July, which means Darcy is 82% more likely to head east...

ycrad said...

oh baby!!!! iiiiiiim ready. now all i have to do is find a job...


...stupid jobs.